Saturday, June 19, 2010

Game of the month, Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life

For those of us who have no lawn, there are games like Harvest Moon to give us a virtual world of farming fun. Right now I have a cow , a hen I named Pollina , and a dog . I'm trying to win the heart of Marlin , a rockabilly farm boy who lives on a nearby farm. I thought about marrying the party boy or the musician boy, but I realized they wouldn't help me with the farm in the later part of the game.

Sometimes in the game, things seem so menial, but there is a lot to do in a day and little time to do it. I have to milk my cow, feed my chicken, make connections with townspeople, dig for fossils, fish, garden, etc.

In later parts of the game I have a cute little kid , and there will be more to plant and cook and more animals. I haven't gotten past the first year. I was just about done with the first year when I started the game a few years ago, when I realized that I had no more food for my cow and couldn't get more. It's really important to fertilize and harvest hay in the game! I'm sure these are lessons I would learn in real life on a farm.

Thank you video games, for letting me try out different lives. Next, I want a video game that lets me try different careers. (maybe).

No comments: